Site Meter

Monday, November 3, 2008

Exclusive Interview with Manny


Earlier today we got a chance to sit down with one of NERC's favorites, Manny (Murray) Goldstein. Manny offered us a glimpse of his colorful life in the time that was allotted to our interview.
NERC: Manny, tell us a little about your background, for example which school(s') did you attend for High School?
Manny
: Well after attending Torah Institute in Baltimore for elementary and middle school my Rabbeim recommended that I go to a small place in Lakewood. So I started off 9th grade in Lakewood but I left half-way into the year right before the school closed down due to a lack of students. So for the second half of 9th grade I attended Yeshivas Chofetz Chaim in Baltimore. Then for 10th grade I was shipped off to Norfolk. I then stayed on in Norfolk through 12th grade. Undoubtedly these were the best years in my life before coming to NERC. I still have a very close Kesher with Norfolk and I visit there often, they're like family to me. I've also eaten with Shreshevsky before, I'm sure you've heard of the whole scandal with him & WexTrust?!

NERC
: Yes, unfortuanitly we have. It's a very sad story.


NERC
: How would you describe yourself?

Manny
: For starters, I just want to say I'm not wishy-washy (chuckle). I'm saying that because I went collecting with another Bochur last year in Cleveland and a woman called him 'wishy-washy' and it caused him a lot of distress. However, I am often refereed to as 'Goofy', I think that stemmed from an incident in 10th grade when i shoved a teacher through a stain glass window and my Principal called me a 'Goof-off'.


NERC: Who are your Chavrusa's this year?
Manny
: For first seder I'm learning with the Rosh Yeshiva and second seder I'm learning with Rabbi Lapin (and Tuna-beigel). Then for supper (on Sunday, Monday & Wednesday) I have the special z'chus of learning with Rafi Felder. I recently instituted a point system with Rafi. Every 50 points he receives he gets another prize. Tonight he will be receiving his first prize, a soda from Cumby's, but we're still looking for transportation as i did not grow up in the frigid temperatures of Russia. After Rafi receives the next 50 points he has opted for a large peanut butter Twix bar. And for Night Seder I am learning with NERC's masmid, Yossi Szcochet.


NERC
: We wish Rafi all the best and definitely hope he gets that Twix bar. Now tell us Manny, what inspires you.

Manny
: I'm an avid reader of 'Rabbi Freifeld speaks' and it provides me with endless inspiration, I really recommend to every jew who wants to grow in life.


NERC
: Would you be intrested in pairing up with other Bochurim and visiting the elderly in Providence?

Manny
: Most people that are put into Nursing Homes are put there against their will and are most often neglected and lonely. Anything that can ease the loneliness of the elderly I would love to partake in. Also I feel this could in some way combat the evil culture that plagues our society. I hope you guys feel as passionate as me on this topic?

NERC
: Well we can definitely say that you 'are' quite passionate and we do share some of your feelings on this issue.


NERC
: Tell us some of your Favorite's?

Manny
: As most Yeshiva Bochurim I'm a big fan of Coffee.

NERC
: What kind of Coffee?

Manny: Specifically Iced coffee and Iced Lattes My Favorite Author is Eli Yishai, who happens to be the Author of my favorite book 'Bankers Trust'.
My favorite singer is Yaakov Shwekey.
And my favorite composer is Yossi Green.

I have two favorite songs; one is song by MBD and composed by Abie Rotenberg, which is called 'Memories'. The other is 'Anavim', which is song by MBD and Yossi Green, and composed by Yossi. My favorite cake is not from Zishe's.
My favorite pair of glasses is from ZenniOptical.com

My favorite magazine is the Shadchan-Magazine.

My favorite Friend to assist is Yoel 'Homer' Simpson, especially when it has to do with his classmate Angila.
I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.
NERC
: That's fine, it sure seems from the way that you fired off your favorites you're definitelywishy-washy!

Manny
: Funny (laughs)


NERC
: Being that we're less than 12 hours from Voting day are you at all umped about going to vote, and where will you be voting.

Manny
: I am defiantly on fire. I've been campaigning for McCain for a long time and I don't want to miss this big opportunity to vote for him. I will be voting in the Epoch Nursing home on the Butler Campus. I have been told from DMI (who has voted there in the past) that the line could be a few hours long. So I'm going to go first thing after Shachris with DMI and hopefully get back in time for first seder. I'm excited about getting all that time to spend with him but I'm a little nervous because I don't want to miss any of 1st seder. I was also thinking that if we do happen to finish voting with some time to spare maybe we'll visit some elderly people, that would be nice.


NERC
: Manny, we can't thank you enough for allowing us this time to sit down and talk with you. You defiantly don't leave us hanging and it was a pleasure spending this time with you. Hope to have you back some time soon, Thanks!

Manny
: It was more my pleasure than yours, because I've always admired your site and would do anything to help contribute to your work. Thanks for having me.

12 comments:

hillelKAPS said...

wow......i wish i knew what to say. i understand providence is a strange place but the words "wishy-washy", dont do this bochur justice. whatever culture he is for or against is definately none of my business and its definately something i could do without being aware of. thanks anyway and i hope that you dont get blasted too much from other blog suscribers such as myself

rbtzn said...

interview chico!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well u know it's a little hard to interview someone you can never get in contact with!

Anonymous said...

now u see why im so crazy over Manny Murray

Anonymous said...

i thought that i was the only special one

rbtzn said...

oh i get it, theyre made up :-P

Anonymous said...

First of all, if you're self concious of "some culture" that you are part of for some reason, don't put it over my head.

P.S. I would say the same about "wishy-washy" ahem...(interviewer?)

Anonymous said...

nice interview but whats with the picture

epb said...

more interviews!

epb said...

interview R' Derring and R' Karp

Anonymous said...

cows & aardvarks

Joel said...

Its so nice of mannt to say that he loves to assist me!! :)